Penryn Cornwall Banner

St. Gluvias Church Records

The parish church was dedicated July 25, 1318 to St. Gluvias, the martyr. Gluvias was a Welshman on a mission to his fellow Celts in the sixth century. It is presumed that after his death his converts raised a wooden structure over his grave. His feast day is May 3rd.

No poor law documents have survived for this parish.

St. Gluvias fees in 1826.

Parish Chest Materials available on microfilm from LDS:

  • Churchwarden's accounts and rates, 1771 to 1787
  • Vestry Minutes, 1826 to 1894

Vicars

John Collier 1696?
George Allanson to 1741
John Penrose 1741 to 1776
William Johnston Temple 1776 to 1796
John Francis Howell 1796 to 1824
John Sheepshanks 1824 to 1844
William John Phillpotts 1845 to 1888
A. A. Vawdrey 1889 to after 1894
Frederick Robert Carr 1909 to 1915
Frederic Dennison Bruce 1915 to 1926
Edward Harry Shore 1928 to 1943
J.A. Simcock 1943 to 1952
Christopher Lewis 1952 to 1959

Parish registers available in the Cornish Record Office

  • Baptisms: 1598 to 1975
  • Marriages: 1599 to 1605, and 1645 to 1977
  • Burials: 1601 to 1975

Bishop's transcripts available in the Devon Record Office

  • Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials: 1608 to 1816, 1818, 1820 to 1837, 1839 to 1841

Available on this website

  • Marriages: 1645 to 1894
  • Burials: 1795 to 1812

Available in the IGI

  • Baptisms: 1599 to 1746, Batch number: C053171
  • Baptisms: Miscellaneous between 1700 and 1803, Batch number: C022372
  • Baptisms: 1813 to 1875, Batch number: C022373
  • Marriages: 1599 to 1754, Batch number: M035552
  • Marriages: 1837 to 1876, Batch number: M035551

Parish register transcriptions

Available on microfilm from LDS

  • Baptisms: 1599 to 1959
  • Marriages: 1599 to 1959
  • Banns: 1754 to 1837
  • Burials: 1599 to 1959

Images available online from LDS

  • Baptisms: 1598 to 1909
  • Marriages: 1598 to 1923
  • Banns: 1754 to 1906
  • Burials: 1598 to 1908

Monument Inscriptions

  • Produced about 1989 by the Fal History Group (no longer available).
  • Cornwall Family History Society  (Only an index is for sale.   Individual transcriptions are available at additional cost for CFHS members only.)

Penryn

1) Chapel of St. Mary

Opened before 1322, closed 1546?
No registers

2) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1789

Parish registers available in the Cornish Record Office:

  • Baptisms: 1813 to 1837
  • Marriages: 1893 to 1899

Available in the IGI

  • Baptisms: 1813 to 1837

Parish Register Transcriptions

  • Baptisms: 1813 to 1900, from Sheila Townsend
  • Marriages: 1893 to 1899, from Shelia Townsend

3) Congregational (Independent) chapel

Opened Jan 1, 1806, closed 1934

Parish registers available in the Cornwall Record Office

  • Baptisms: 1806 to 1917
  • Marriages: 1846 to 1854, 1909, 1910
  • Burials: 1806 to 1859, 1869 to 1901

Available in the IGI

  • Baptisms: 1806 to 1837

Parish register transcriptions:

  • Baptisms: 1806 to 1837, from Sheila Townsend
  • Burials: 1808 to 1834, from Sheila Townsend

4) Primitive Methodist Chapel, built 1860

5) Bible Christian Chapel, built 1866

History

6) Salvation Army, started 1882

Valid XHTML 1.1 Valid CSS!

Copyright 2009-2011. All rights reserved
Professional Hosting from Just Host